Matterport, the world leader in 3D capture technology and data, has unveiled Matterport Cloud 3.0, a subscription-based platform that puts 3D capture in the hands of businesses and individuals worldwide. The company’s new cloud software platform enhances the power of Matterport’s flagship Pro2 camera, and enables new users to transform panoramic and 360-degree imagery from spherical lens cameras into Matterport 3D – fully immersive 3D models.
A breakthrough in its category, these new capabilities in 3D capture are made possible by the advancements in Matterport’s AI-powered image-processing technology, known as Cortex. Cortex is trained on Matterport’s world-leading dataset comprising billions of 3D data points, and can construct stunning 3D models from two-dimensional images captured with spherical lens cameras, including Ricoh Theta V and Insta360™ ONE X.
This new class of cameras, which start at under $400, provides a low-cost, entry-level solution for the capture, creation and publishing of 3D experiences. Matterport Cloud 3.0 expands Matterport’s ecosystem of professional 3D capture – adding to Matterport’s Pro2 camera line and the Leica Geosystems BLK360 laser scanner – making its revolutionary 3D experiences accessible to a significantly wider market. The new offering is for customers who don’t require the accuracy, performance and image quality of Matterport’s professional products.
RJ Pittman, CEO of Matterport, stated: “Today marks the beginning of an exciting new chapter for Matterport, our customers, partners and service providers. With Matterport Cloud 3.0 and Cortex, we are taking an important step in our evolution to better serve new and existing customers and partners with more choices to get started and grow with 3D capture. The power of our new software platform brings us one step closer to camera ubiquity. The versatility enables us to deliver a compelling entry-level solution for simple, smaller projects, while we continue to innovate and extend our industry-leading Pro2 capture experience for professional users.”
In addition to these important advancements for Matterport Cloud 3.0, the company is committed to thoughtfully opening up the platform to the broader developer community starting this year. This will bring an entirely new suite of functionality to Matterport’s customers for both new and existing 3D spaces.
Pittman added: “Matterport introduced the category of 3D capture for the built environment and created a market that revolutionized the real estate and construction industries. Looking forward, our newly expanded capture ecosystem and increased focus on Matterport Cloud unlocks our strategy to accelerate innovation, and deliver new features and functionality that our customers need. This includes important third-party integrations that our customers, partners and developers have only begun to imagine.”
Matterport Cloud 3.0 Highlights
- Cortex, Matterport’s industry-leading AI engine, has the unique ability to transform 360-degree images from spherical cameras into immersive 3D experiences using machine learning algorithms based on Matterport’s unique dataset comprising billions of 3D data points.
- Cortex includes three-dimensional intelligence that can understand objects, rooms and the detailed characteristics of a space; automatically choose well-composed photos; and label specific rooms on a floor plan.
Matterport 3.0 Updates
- Workshop 3.0 – Matterport’s core image editing environment now has a more intuitive user interface and better organization of features and controls.
- Showcase 3.0 & SDK – Released with dramatic increases in both speed and performance, especially when rendering large-scale 3D models.
- Capture App 3 – Matterport’s all-new version of its 3D capture app (in beta) now runs on both iPhone and iPad to seamlessly guide and manage the 3D scanning and uploading process across all compatible hardware devices. It includes user interface enhancements based on feedback from existing customers as well as many other speed and performance improvements.